Friday, December 3, 2010

Cherry Bomb



BOOM! British-made-teen-coming-of-age-drama, IN THE EYES! A positively explosive display of Northern Irish youth! I'm sorry, didn't mean to scare you there. Bet that was quite terrifying wasn't it? And maybe even quite annoying. But do not fret! Cherry Bomb (2009) certainly doesn't seek one's attention quite as much as my metaphorical bombs do (God knows we love them). Yes, despite the confusing title (The poster made me believe it could be something to do with virginity and pool activities... it isn't) the film is actually not half bad.

Okay, so when I really think about it, I don't actually rate it that much. The sensible and analytical side of my brain says "Come on, Julia. There wasn't much to it really, was there?". Whilst the hormonal, 18-year-old side of my brain shouts "Look at the hot boys! LOOK at them!"

I know, I know. I'm a silly billy who gets distracted by naked torsos but seriously. Hey. SERIOUSLY. Can you blame me? First we've got the delectable delights of Robert Sheehan, who proved himself slick and quick-witted in the hit show Misfits whilst bringing an edgy 'I don't give two fucks' element to this new character. And then there's Rupert Grint. What the hell happened to him?! You think you've got it all sussed, good ol' reliably nerdy Ron and then BOOM! (sorry, I will stop) He's turned into a great big pile of sexy.

But honestly, looking past the fact that there was plenty of totty to ogle at, the movie itself didn't feel much different to any of your standard BBC dramas. There were a few visually pleasing shots and the acting had promise but the script lacked the intense, show-down sequences which the narrative might have strived upon. Personally, after seeing the spectacular things Shane Meadows is capable of, any other drama not up to scratch becomes something I find very hard to connect to. There was many a sensitive moment that could have been amplified, for example lead female Michelle's (Kimberly Nixon) relationship with her Dad (James Nesbitt) but alas, it all seemed to be lightly brushed over and then quickly forgotten about.

I doubt I will intentionally see it again but it was entertaining all the same. Cherry Bomb gets 3 out of 5 stars for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment